Sunday, June 14, 2009

Personal View: Cultural Indifferences














One of the street hawkers in Jinan, Shandong.

About one year ago, I was sent to China on a school's internship programme, and was to stay there for two and a half months. Although the trip can be concluded as pleasant, it wasn't a trip which was easy right from the start. There were a lot of things to get accustomed to during the first two weeks as the culture over there differs vastly back here at home.

I received my first cultural shock within minutes of my touch down in Beijing International airport. While I was queuing at the immigration counter to get my passport stamped, a few Chinese men came along with big bags and conveniently shoved me away just so that they could get to the other end of the queue. I was greatly agitated, but I reminded myself that since I wasn’t at home, I probably should not create a fuss out of “trivial” matter like this. And so I tolerated this nonsense.

For the next few days, I continued to observe the culture over here. The people here spat, used the toilets without closing the doors even though there were doors attached to it, dined at the roadsides, allowed the ringing of their cell phones in theatres and spoke at the top of their voices everywhere. I was greatly disturbed, I grumbled, I complained and thought how uncivilised these people were. I condemned their ethnics and behaviours, and compared everything back to Singapore. I refused to eat at the roadside stalls and to use the toilets until I got back to the hostel. However, 3 weeks later, my perspectives changed. I settled down and adjusted to how things work over here, and to my own surprise, even enjoyed dining at the roadside stalls!

There was another occasion whereby I nearly landed myself in hot soup, when I conveniently addressed the waitresses at the restaurants as “Xiao Jie” (Miss or 小姐). I never knew that to them, this term actually meant prostitute, but back here, everyone and anyone address an unknown lady by that term. One of the waitresses I called glared at me but after figuring out that I probably wasn’t local, she continued to do her task. Then there was this taxi driver which I remembered vividly. Back there, you are supposed to address them as “Shi Fu” (师父or master), if you call them “Shi Ji” (司机 or driver), it meant you have no respect for them. And so this driver that I came across, refused to answer anything which we asked him unless we call him by “Shi Fu”. It’s probably hilarious, but I guess these are how things work.

Culture is probably a difficult thing to understand. Nobody would be able to really understand its beauty unless being put through it to experience it. Ethnocentrism is inevitable. I learnt from my mistake and think that no one should jump to conclusion or judge a culture based on person views. There is always two sides to every story, and it applies to all cultures too. We should practice cultural relativism and learn to be more accepting of things which are relatively new or foreign to us.

7 comments:

  1. Ya! In china, we were not supposed to address the waitresses as "xiao jie" (Miss), as we do in Singapore, as to them, it means "prostitute". My uncle got a glare when he called out to the waitress in the restuarant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will definitely experience such things at some points in our life and thus cultural relativism is something I have to practice. I just do not understand why China chinese people behave the way they do. Maybe I am too rooted into the roots of our culture that it is really hard for me to accept that that is part of their own culture and I should not judge them like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most people would probably react in the same way if placed in the same position, unless they come from a similar culture. It really takes time for anyone to adjust and learn a different culture, especially so if that particular culture is very diverse and has hardly any similarity to our own culture. However, it is the little facets of each culture that makes every culture interesting and different for us to appreciate.
    Perhaps, apart from us trying to practise cultural relativism, it is advisable for the locals to do so too. It will then be mutually beneficial as there will be patience, understanding and respect on both sides. Conflicts would also be less likely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree that culture is hard to understand! we may form impressions of a country's culture just after spending a few days there, for example, spending a few days in korea might lead me to conclude that koreans are really polite, but to understand their culture completely it would probably take years! it is this form of misunderstandings that normally cause conflict between cultures! more often than not the intention to offend the other party is usually not there! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes like flybutterflyfly said culture can be hard to understand. As someone who has lived in 4 different countries time is the only way to adjust as your entry points out. PS did you really do your business with open doors....?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being someone who's born into a mixed heritage and spent a fair amount of time in both countries that has contrasting environment natured me not to take things for granted. And I guess that's because people tend to be too comfortable in their own comfort zone and bring their lil sphere along with them as they go to other places. Not saying that it is uncommon or wrong, just that we would probably be able to enjoy places better should we keep an open mind as we experiences another culture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting recount of your time in China! I remember (not so fondly though) the toilets without doors and people shouting as if everyone is standing 10 000 meters away from them. That was vastly different from the Singapore we grew up in - clean toilets with doors and locks, immediate negative sanctions should you speak a little too loudly.

    I guess I am always interested in learning about and being in another culture. Even so, like what you've mentioned, there will inevitably be comparisons made to what we are more familiar with or more comfortable with. Just don't criticize and be respectful!

    ReplyDelete